The Worthless Check Program was starting by the Scott County Attorney’s Office in 1989. The intent of the program is to offer located businesses the option to prosecute and recover thousands of dollars from individuals who write worthless checks in Scott County.
To be eligible for the program:
- The business must operate in Scott County.
- The check is written in the amount of $20.00 to $2,000.00.
- The check has been returned from the bank marked: NSF, account closed, or refer to maker.
- All forged checks should be referred to the Jordan Police Department.
It is important to remember, to prosecute the person presenting the check, the following criteria must be met:
- The clerk/cashier identified the individual by driver’s license.
- The clerk/cashier gives a written statement with the check stating they personally know the identity of the individual who presented the check.
If a person has no identification, do not accept a check from them!
For more information, and to take part in the program, please click here.